Saturday, January 30, 2010

This one is for you Kelley (although you might not be reading this)

So I have decided to do a complete blog on the various birds that I have seen around my campus. Now these birds are mainly various water fowl including ducks, geese, swans, seagulls, some little black bird with a white head that looks similar to a kiwi...but with a short beak, and then of course pigeons (which aren't really water fowl...but they do drink water and smell fowl).

Well lets start with what I see everyday...out my kitchen (and now bedroom) window:

Two (sometimes four) Ducks... Normally Mallards in their nice little pairs, male and female. These are also the type of bird that has not found my window...I think they like me.

Two (sometimes just one) Geese...these do not show up every day like the ducks...they come occasionally and if they do not get fed they leave. The type that we have on campus (and that come see us) are Greylag Geese.

Two black swans...who make this funny noise...and I am a little afraid of. Because they have such long necks they can almost get to the crack in the window where we drop food out of and so I am a little afraid to feed them...or go near them...I guess after looking them up on a few different pages that they must be Mute Swans but they are black...with pinkish beaks instead and they do make a noise. These show up occasionally as well, although they have been more frequent than the geese.

Then the mystery bird. These are all over the campus but I cannot really seem to find out what they are...oh wait...there they are...they are Coots. The funny things about these are their feet. They are bigger then their own head. Which I think makes them look really peculiar.

There are other forms of ducks...I think this website has a pretty good selection...but i haven't seen all of these... http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdidentifier/form.asp#

I think my favorite bird on campus though are these: ok well they are either Bar-headed Geese or Barnacle geese...I have only seen them from afar and they look really pretty (yes Kelley I think they are pretty) so yea. Hopefully I will get some pictures myself and then post them on here...someway...haven't figured that out yet.

OH yea then there are the seagulls that fly around and screech their heads off and the pigeons that you have to watch out for...because there are a few overhangs that they can perch on...and poop from.

I have heard some really pretty sounding song birds, and seen some crows...but that is all with the normal birds.

Anyway this is all the wildlife I have seen...water fowl. I know its kinda pathetic, I thought that I would have seen a fox by now...and maybe heard an owl. But no luck.

Well I'm off to bed. Hope you enjoyed this. Will publish more about my daily life at another time.

1 comment:

  1. The grey goose is really cute. I plan on having some when I retire.

    But there is a black swan species native to Australia, but now they are all over the place.

    ReplyDelete