Wednesday, February 10, 2010

So.. I went to Cardiff this past weekend.

And it was awesome! Well most of it was.

Friday (February 5) morning I woke up and finished packing up all of those things that I would need/possibly need/just wanted to bring. All of these things I was able to just fit into the backpack I had brought with me...and when I say just fit...i mean just fit. After that I lounged around (checked the weather...and then packed my umbrella) and then at noon I gathered up my stuff and headed to Katherine's for a lunch of pasta before we headed out. Our train was at 2:30 out of York and so we caught a bus and headed over. Once at the station we asked to find out where our train was going to be (platform wise) and then went and sat around at Platform 4. Now York station I have to say is one of the coolest looking stations ever...it looks old if you look at the details, but at the same time it has a very modern feeling to it as well. I like it. Well anyway so after waiting around at the station our train finally came in and we boarded...with a good amount of other people so we ended up not being able to find seats (seems a theme with me). Of course since we were not really thinking when we booked tickets we didn't reserve seats so we had to figure out that whole "these are reserved...these are not" thing and ended up just standing around in the luggage/bathroom/doors/people who did not reserve seats area for the first lag of our journey. Now this was not that bad...except that Maria was falling asleep standing up and I had to try to read Midnight's Children standing. After a few stops (as in like 6) Maria and Katherine were able to actually get seats...I tried, but didnt notice that the seat was actually reserved so got kicked out by a kind business man. So, back to standing room only where there was a little niche that was supposed to be used for bikes...but there were no bikes there...so it became my seat. I just chucked my stuff in the corner of it and sat down and read...it worked...it wasnt the most comfortable thing in the world...but it worked and it was better then standing and i was in no one's way. Now our first lag was from York to Birmingham where we caught another train. This train we also didn't luck out and get seats. It again was standing room only...but we did end up standing in the First class area where we could see seats open...but having economy class tickets we were not allowed in there. So we stood around the bathroom again...eating the biscuits that Katherine has brought with her and drinking the water I purchased for the trip.

Quick side note for those family members reading this: One of the stops between Birmingham and Bristol (our next transfer) is CHELTINGHAM! (ok that might be spelled wrong) so I got really excited when we went through.

Anyway so finally we got to Bristol...but there were two different stops for Bristol...so another nice business man looked up on his phone to see if the first stop would have a train for us to get to Cardiff...and there was so we got off and then went to find another info desk to find out where we were supposed to go next platform wise...when we got to the platform we had like five minutes and then a very small train pulled up...and I mean it wasnt small...it just seemed not so nice/large as the other ones. The good thing...WE GOT SEATS!!! since it was close to seven o clock by now there weren't really that many people going to Swansea (which was where the train was going...Cardiff was a stop). So we all sat down and I started reading some more. Maria was finally able to fall asleep and Katherine read as well...The train wasnt really all that packed...as it was Maria was actually sitting in a reserved seat...but the girl it was reserved for was sitting in a seat two rows ahead because there was a table there...so she said that Maria could have the seat.

So...final lag of the train (about 45 minutes) and we got to Cardiff. Now Cardiff for those of you who do not know where this is...is in Wales. It is the capital of Wales. At night it kinda looks a little scary. BUT we unloaded and headed in the direction of where the Hostel we were staying at was. About 10 minutes later...past Milennium Stadium and then over the river and then down a nice little picturesque street we were standing in front of The River House. Once we got into the building the reception guy Charlie gave us a tour and then gave us keys. Our room was a four person "public" room...so we ended up sharing it with one other girl (who we later learned was from Germany) but we were able to lock the door and we each were given lockers and locks to keep out stuff in...if we wanted. We all did of course. The bedroom was two sets of bunk beds and We had two bottoms and one top. I had a bottom with the other girl (german girl) having the top. We unpacked our stuff and since we hadn't eaten anything yet went back downstairs to see where Charlie would recommend for food. We ended up going to a pub called The Prince of Wales...which was one really large sports bar that was built within what used to be a theatre I believe. It was an interesting place and we all enjoyed our food. After that we wandered down to the castle to see it at night and then went back home to plan out the next day and for me to read a little more.

We all slept that night pretty well. The whole journey there had worn us all out and even though the beds were not the most comfortable of beds...they were still good enough to just fall asleep in. (Plus by then I had figured out the heat and gotten the room to a not freezing temperature...and we had DOWN pillows (well they felt like that type) so the bed itself was made that much better).

Well I am going to leave it there...because I like keeping you all in suspense...and i need to eat something so I am going to go get lunch and will post more later!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I hate to do this, but I think when you wrote "lag" you meant "leg," as in small portion of a journey. It was bugging me so much I looked it up, just to make sure. Now, I will give you the benefit of a doubt that "lag" is a British-ism, but...

    Glad to hear you're having fun and didn't die in the hostel.

    ReplyDelete