Sunday, January 24, 2010

so...its been another week.

This past week I started class...which went alright. Monday we had a lecture that was just an overview of what we would be learning in this module (thats what they call class here) and then some basic stuff about Postcolonial lit and how it works with other lit etc. etc. etc. I have to admit that this was one of the best lectures I have ever sat through though, not because the guy giving the lecture had a really cool british accent...but because he really knew his stuff. He was able to really explain everything and at the same time come off his notes and give examples or pronunciations or spellings or just more general knowledge to us. Sadly, he did get interrupted by the fact that we had to leave...so we never really finished the lecture, but still the fact that I came out of a 9:15 lecture really happy and really feeling like I got something was really nice.

I then didn't have class till 1:15 that same day. This lecture of course didn't pick up where he left off...it wasn't even the same person. Instead it was over the library and how to work the online stuff...boring!...but helpful...kinda. Anyway the library system here is not as extensive as at U of I where every department has their own library and then there is the Undergrad and the Main Stacks as well, no instead it is all in one building...but their online resources trump U of I's by tenfold. I have to admit that the library is really nice. They don't have a cafe right inside or next to it, which makes me really sad...but the places to work are really nice and big and quiet, and the stacks are really easy to get through...and they have something called Key Texts which is really nice because then certain books you know are always going to be there for you to check out for four hour periods of time. I have used this already with an assignment that i had to do (see later in this blog) and also have used the library as a place to study a few times...one thing that I keep forgetting is how cold it gets. It gets REALLY cold in there. I am always wearing like a t-shirt and then a sweater...or yesterday i wore a long sleeve shirt and a tank top and still froze. It's not cool. (well I guess it is cool...but you get the idea).

Ok, off the library and onto class again. My next class period wasn't till Thursday, but my tutor (TA) had assigned everyone groups and presentation topics on our first book (Wide Sargasso Sea, Jean Rhys) and so I had to meet with my group and work on that. Our topic was the historical context...and i was stumped...but it worked out. When I met with the other two girls I was assigned to work with they both had done some pretty extensive research, where I had only found one article...so I had my work cut out for me...but I did get my own topic to work off of, Jean Rhys and her history. They both did historical context of the book. It turned out to be a really good presentation (really chill and not that much pressure) because we covered all ground. I think my tutor was impressed with it. But that was done thursday at 4:15-6:15 in the afternoon. Having class that late is really weird...I mean i am kind of used to it (orchestra...) but not when it comes to a "real" class. It turned out nice though and we did get to go through a good amount.

I didn't have a movie screening this week...so I do not know how that works...but I do have those every other week at like 3:15 till whenever the movie is over. It's really interesting having all of these times for one class. Also I have a ton of reading...its not just one text per week...but then the tutor can add texts on to our reading that she wants us to do for maybe a tutorial (go to her office and discuss stuff) or for seminar, or both. So I have another novel to read for tomorrow (I am half way right now) and then four big packets of poetry and essays and then some poetry in an anthology of caribbean poetry (that is in the mail and should arrive tuesday via amazon.com)

Classes here are at first glance similar to those at home...but honestly the reading load is a lot larger. I also had to think of my first essay topic for this week...they do not hand out general topics that you have to specify or choose from... you decide what you want, and then thats what you get...so we shall see if she likes my topic...i think i can write a good paper on it (only 2500 words)

So there is a general look at class structure and how much I have to do...I have spent a few nights out with friends, but at the same time I spent those days at the library. SO it evens out.



This weekend I planned a trip to Cardiff...hung out with friends, watched a football game(soccer) and then a rugby game (all of this was on tv) and then got a student rail card and wandered the Minster today...oh and dinner/coffee/fun-ness with Katherine, Maria, Claudia, and Lena.

If I didn't say enough or you have questions you can reach me at email address...or facebook...or snail mail. Ask mom for address (unless you are a U of I friend...then ask me).

No comments:

Post a Comment