Thursday, January 14, 2010

Continuing to Sunday...and maybe some more.

Alright. Sunday January 10th 2010 (or 10/01/10 which is how the brits write dates).

Let's see...I woke again after noon. Sat around in pj's again and was still feeling not really great because my clock was still off kelter, but at the same time I think the sitting around was a good thing. It was nice to just relax. Sunday I got internet in my room. It was glorious. Finally I was able to sit in my room and talk to my parents on skype and just sit on my bed and relax. Sunday was actually a pretty uneventful day, I hung out with my flatmates (or actually I hung out next door and was introduced to everyone Sarah (girl next door) yelled at to come meet me.) I think I might be able to put about four names to faces, other than that...yea not going to happen. It was fun though watching everyone mingle acting like I wasn't that new, and it was nice to meet people. Also I learned that snow is a big deal, as in the guys built an igloo, had a snowball fight, and were able to get snow into Sarah's room through the window. I also learned that my flat (hall) is loud. But thats normal (Allen hall has gotten me ready for something!) Everyone was moving in on sunday so the campus was in a weird limbo, nothing open, but everyone here. Hence the fact that I really didn't leave my flat till that night, when I met up with Katherine (from U of I) Katherine (from York who studied at U of I last term as a visiting student) and two of Katherine (York)'s friends Kate and Richard. They took us to one of their favorite pubs on campus (currently I am forgetting the name) and we sat and chatted about everything from football(soccer) to football(american), tv, U of I, embarrassing moments, magic tricks, meercats, geckos, where we were living contrasted to where they used to live, traveling the US...so much. Both Richard and Kate had exams to still study for, so this was like a study break...that lasted three hours. It was a blast though to just sit and chat and the pub was basically empty so we could hear each other and the cider was good.

At this point people need to be filled in on a little key detail. The drinking age here is 18. I am legal here.

We had a nice time. Afterwards a few of us had remembered that we really hadn't eaten dinner yet so on our walk back up towards where Kate and Katherine(York) lived we stopped at a food venue called Efe's. For those from U of I its like a mixture of Antonios and Juniors Burgers, with maybe better chips then you could get anywhere in the states. For those of you from rockford it is both pizza and burgers and chicken and fish and chips.
Instead of eating and walking Kate and Katherine invited us back to their house for a cup of tea and a warm place to eat. So we went, they don't live on campus, but they live on the main road between campus and city center in a really cute thin flat/house fit for five. They have three other roommates who when we got there were not there at the time. We ate our Efe's and drank our tea while watching Friends (yes the original Friends...I think Richard said it was season ten or something (chandler and monica were married and joey was a member of days of our lives)) It was fun just hanging out. Once we had finished our tea Katherine(york) drove Katherine and I back to campus and that ended our Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment